I spend every year remodeling or remaking 12 to 25 bathrooms and 5 to 10 kitchens for my clients in preparation of getting their homes ready to sell. The process is incredibly rewarding for both me and my clients and each year brings new and creative ideas to our work. Not only is your home the biggest investment you’ll probably ever make, it’s also your oasis and the space in which you live, love, and entertain. From a financial and quality-of-life perspective, it simply makes sense to keep your home updated and on-trend. If 2015 is your year to renovate or redecorate, read on for the latest trends in home remodeling to transform your space.
For the last two years I have written an article on the most practical remodeling projects by return-on-invesment. However, whether you plan to stay in your home for the foreseeable future or to sell soon, one thing is certain. Your real estate remodeling dollars are very well spent on the kitchen and bathroom for a high return on investment and even higher return on enjoyment. Even if resale value isn’t top of mind, because your kitchen and bathroom are highly personal spaces, you’ll appreciate every upgrade you make to the fullest. Here are this year’s hottest kitchen and bathroom renovation trends:
- Light, bright open-concept kitchens with sight lines into the living room
- Island breakfast bars
- “Smart” refrigerators that alert you when you are low on staples like eggs or butter
- Sparkling, easy-to-clean quartz, cement and Caesarstone countertops
- Numerous outlets to power devices and chargers
- Stand-alone wine refrigerators with specific temperature zones for different vintages
- Hands-free, motion-sensing faucets, trash cans, and cabinet doors.
- Commercial-grade appliances such as blast chillers, deep freezes, ice machines, ovens, and sous vide accessories
- Digital showers that allow you to program optimal water temperature, intensity, steam, lighting, and sound
- Aromatherapy showers
- Multi-spray shower heads
- Built-in reloadable shampoo and conditioner containers
- Recessed in-shower shelving
- High-end odor-neutralizing toilets
One appealing aspect of the most sought after homes in Palo Alto, Los Altos, Menlo Park, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Saratoga, Almaden. West San Jose, and Portola Valley is that these homes boast inviting outdoor living areas that beckon residents to step outside and soak up every moment of Northern California’s balmy climate. Whether you opt for a mobile or a built-in model, fire is the red-hot outdoor living trend of the moment. You and your guests will enjoy the flickering flames of a fireplace or pit. If you also equip your outdoor space with a grilling station, chilling station, and sink, there’s little reason to leave your cozy outdoor oasis. Unless, that is, nature calls. That’s why the final piece of the outdoor living puzzle is an outdoor powder room/shower combo.
For the techie amongst you, check out these three hot gadgets:
- Say goodbye to ugly rat’s nest of cords with the LG Hausys wireless charger that’s camouflaged by a countertop surface.
- The SnapRays Guidelight electrical outlet plate is actually a sensor-driven LED nightlight.
- The under-counter, self-cleaning TopBrewer coffee maker is smart device controlled for the ultimate in coffee brewing. Watch out! This one is pricey at around $11,000.
If you are contemplating a move in the near future and want advice on the best way to spend your 2015 remodeling budget, contact Shelly Roberson. I’m a Bay Area native with a finger on the pulse of Peninsula real estate including Palo Alto, Almaden, Los Gatos, Saratoga, Menlo Park, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Portola Valley, Atherton, and West San Jose. I take pride in connecting customers with their dream homes!